Lady Liberal

Musings on life in America as seen from the perspective of a feminist Roman Catholic, pro-choice, Mom in middle America.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

hunting accidents

If I hear one more republican say (IRL) that Cheney shooting his hunting buddy was no big deal and that things like that *happen all the time*, I may scream.

I was raised in a family of hunters. They hunted to supplement their food, in order to have meat in the winter. Hunting was and is a way of life...deer hunting, gun and bow, turkey hunting (I was grown and married before I ever had a store bough turkey for thanksgiving dinner), quail squirrel, rabbit..you name it, if it was a game animal in missouri...they hunt(ed) it.

My cousins, uncles, etc are descendants of mountain people...meaning they are a bit crazy..but you know what?...never ever, not once have they ever *accidentally* shot a hunting partner. Never, nada, zilch. In fact there are not even any stories of this occurring in family legends...which to blunt do contain some doozy of a story stories....

And then for Cheney not to immediately admit and report what happened? Just one more example of the veil of secrecy this administration operates under...the contempt they have both for the press and the american people.


Cheney's Got a Gun
Cheney's Got a Gun
Cheney's Got a Gun
Everybody's on the Run
"Keep going, we'll come back for him later, he's fine."
"Um. Sir. Mr. Vice President, he's kinda just laying there."
"Shhhhhh!!!! He's a lawyer. You want him to sue?...Harry? You OK? Harry? See? He's fine. This is just part of the administration's new tort reform package."
"Sir, he's not moving."
"He's just sleeping it off.Hand me another round. I'm going to get me some quail."
"I think he's hurt sir. He's bleeding."
"You think he's hurt. Are you a doctor?"
"Yes. I'm your doctor. I travel with you all the time."
"Ah yes. The Jew. I didn't recognize you without the rib spreader."
"I think we need to call one of your ambulances."
"Aw, now why do you want to go and do something like that? If Antonin hears about this he won't come duck hunting next time there's an important case before the Supreme Court that I need him to rule on."
"Sir. I'm doing the best to stop the bleeding, but we're out in the middle of nowhere. No equipment. No sanitation. This is a far cry from George Washington University Hospital."
"Yeah, it's more like the County Hospital right next door to it. Well, do your best."
"I'm stanching the blood flow."
"No you idiot. I meant do your best to make it look self-inflicted."
Jerry and Joe Long imagined this statement from the veep on huffingtonpost.com: "Since the days of Aaron Burr, under our constitution, the vice president has the implied authority to shoot whomever the hell he pleases. … In a time of war, it would be inappropriate to comment further on how and under what circumstances a 78-year-old man underwent a minor pellet infusion."
Political comedian Andy Borowitz offered this press release on his site: Cheney Says Shooting of Fellow Hunter Was Based on Faulty Intelligence Believed Shooting Victim Was Zawahiri, Veep Says
"I believed I had credible intelligence that al-Zawahiri had infiltrated my hunting party in disguise with the intent of spraying me with pellets," Mr. Cheney told reporters. "Only after I shot Harry in the face and he shouted 'Cheney, you bastard' did I realize that this intelligence was faulty."

2 Comments:

  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger myview said…

    You are so right with your comments on the VP's hunting accident. I live in NYC and sometimes here folks get shot by accident but then we aren't hunting: at least we aren't hunting quail. Back home we would go deer hunting or search out a few rabbits, and I have to admit when some inexperienced folks got shooting we needed to learn how to duck real quick, and a few poor cows were mistaken for deer. But then an experienced hunter like the VP (yah, yah)could probably tell the difference from a little quail and a grown man. Love your blog

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Yep, you're right. I am from a family of hunters, and we use hunting to supplement our diets. I've never heard of a hunting accident where the people were involved and paying attention to the task at hand. Not to mention, where people were keeping their fingers off the trigger when not shooting!

    SOme people.

    Amanda

     

Post a Comment

<< Home